*All file back-ups are done at your own risk
Because your website uses WordPress and various plugins, you will have to occasionally update the WordPress installation and plugins. This is very important, it helps to keep your website more secure.
You should log in and check that everything is up to date regularly. To do that first you must make sure that you Back-up you entire website. After you have backed-up everything:
- Log into your Admin account (you may have been given 2 accounts; an admin account and a user account. If you did not receive an admin account please contact your webmaster)
- Backup your website
- click on the button called Dashboard (with the house icon) in the top left-hand corner.
- Then click on Updates.
- If any updates are available you will see them in the list, if there is no update for your WordPress Install, skip to step 8)
- Deactivate your plugins. Some plugins may not work with the newest version of WordPress. (click on Plugins, and deactivate them)
- Update your WordPress Install (go to Dashboard > Updates > Update Now)
- Update your plugins (go to Dashboard > Updates > Update Now > Select your plugins > Update Plugins)
- Re-activate your Plugins one by one
- Check your website to make sure that everything is working
You should update your WordPress install first and then your plugins.
Please be aware that some updates may create errors on your website, so thoroughly check your site after any updates are performed.
Updating your website regularly is recommended to keep things secure and working properly.
If you unable to backup your website, it may be best to NOT update your website or plugins and contact your webmaster/web designer to complete the process for you (if you do not have a maintenance package, this may incur an additional fee). Website updates often contain security updates so please do not wait too long before having your website updated.